Telecommunication Systems and Technologies 1
Telecommunication Systems and Technologies 1 (Cod.: 24058)
Lecturer Coordinator: Prof. Mario Marchese
Lecturers Team: Igor Bisio
6 ECTS Credits
Period: Bachelor of Science in Telecommunication Engineering - Year 2, Semester 2
Language of Instruction: Italian
Contact hours: 60
Knowledge Prerequisites: None
Teaching Method: Theoretical lectures and laboratory tests
Assessment Method: Oral Exam
The lectures are aimed at providing basic knowledge about telecommunication systems and technologies, related to device interworking. The aim is to show different possible solutions to design, implement and test modern telecommunication systems and networks.
- Structure of telecommunication networks: functional layers, protocols and interfaces, packet and circuit networks, introduction to internetworking.
- Methods to analyze and study analogical signals: signal processing (amplifiers, filters, signal generation, frequency conversion).
- Methods to analyze and study digital signals: analogical-digital and digital-analogical conversion, PCM.
- Physical Layer in public networks: Modem, CDA, CDN, PDH, SDH, xDSL, ISDN, Radio bridge.
- Data Link layer: LAN, MAN, encapsulation and transport of information, switching action.
- Network Layer: IP, Information routing, router action, architecture and configuration, measures in the field.
- Transport Networks: IP, ATM, ISDN, MPLS, Fast Ethernet, design and choice of the solutions.
- Cabling and telecommunication system design (case study).
- Analysis of networks performance.
- S. Gai, P.I. Montessoro, P. Nicoletti, Reti Locali, dal cablaggio all’internetworking, Scuola Superiore G. Reiss Romoli, L’Aquila, Italia, 1995.(in Italian)
- A.B. Carlson, Communication Systems, Mc Graw-Hill International, 1986.
- W. Stallings, Data and Computer Communications, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, USA, 1997.
- Notes of the lecturer.
- Standards and international papers provided by the lecturer.
At the end of the lectures the students shall acquire basic knowledge to evaluate, design and test main building elements of a modern telecommunication system.
- Physical layers (Ing. Iscra)
- Laboratory (Ing. Bisio) a.a. 07/08
- Laboratory (Ing. Bisio) a.a. 08/09